ECNL Stichting is hiring a Legal Advisor!
About ECNL Stichting
ECNL’s mission is to promote an enabling legal and fiscal environment for civil society in Europe and beyond. We are deeply committed to empowering civil society organizations (CSOs) and ensuring their sustainability. Our experts have provided support that has directly and positively influenced more than 60 policies and laws affecting CSOs in Europe and Eurasia.
About the position
As a Legal Advisor, together with other ECNL Stichting team members, you will play a crucial role in creating safeguards that protect freedom of association, assembly and other civic space freedoms globally, on European and national level. You will provide legal and policy expertise through analysing laws and policies affecting civic freedoms; researching and monitoring new developments, contributing to developing guidance and delivering trainings. You will be working with the senior legal team to help develop new policies and responses on emerging issues and areas; and to plan for interventions to address challenges and opportunities. In addition to managing your own work expeditiously and to consistently high standards, you demonstrate a willingness to learn and ability to lead, innovate, and further develop your specific area of responsibility.
You will be responsible for:
- Preparing comments and analysis of draft policy and legislation;
- Conducting comparative research, national analysis, editing reports, briefing papers and similar legal and programmatic materials;
- Engaging with government officials, parliamentarians and other local decision-makers;
- Assisting local partners in developing advocacy strategies;
- Furthering ECNL Stichting work in countries of engagement and developing programs in new areas of work; supporting program director and the Executive Director on fundraising efforts;
- Designing and implementing project activities, including capacity-building and network building events with local partners;
- Representing ECNLStichting at various meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences;
- Executing and managing contracts and sub-awards with local partners; overseeing their work and ensuring compliance with donor rules, regulations, and policies;
- Preparing and monitoring workplans, narrative and financial reports;
- Engaging with donors and assisting with program development activities, including proposal writing;
- Contributing to ECNL Stichting’s publications and media outputs, including working with the communications team in the development of communications outputs;
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Competitive salary based on your experience;
- Nice working environment in our downtown office, in The Hague;
- Experienced and supportive team.
Working hours: Full time – 38 hours per week
Special conditions: Frequent travel required (at least once per month), mainly to European countries.
Contract type: 1 year with potential for longer term extension.
We are looking for you if:
- You have a degree in law with knowledge of international human rights;
- You demonstrate a sound knowledge of laws related to the operations of CSOs (proficiency in Dutch legal system desirable);
- You should have at least 3 years of professional experience of working in the field of human rights law and policy development. Experience in advocacy at human rights systems and in working areas related to CSO operations is highly desirable;
- You have proven excellent legal analytical skills, outstanding legal writing skills and spoken fluency in English, adaptable for targeting different audiences;
- You are able to work under pressure and manage time effectively to complete a variety of tasks, without administrative support;
- You have a high level of organization and self-motivation and ability to show leadership, take initiative, and to work independently as well as part of a team.
How to apply:
If you are interested, please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. In your motivation letter, please reflect on what motivates you to work for us, how your experience fits the job description and requirements above and what you strive to gain from working with us. In addition, please address the following issues:
- In your opinion what is the most pressing challenge CSOs currently face in your or in other European countries?
- Describe a specific task from your work experience relating to fundamental freedoms that you believe has prepared you for this position.
We are thankful for everyone’s interest in becoming part of ECNL Stichting team; however, we will notify only the short-listed candidates. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis.