ECNL is hiring!
The European Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ECNL) is currently seeking a Senior Legal Advisor to join its team. ECNL is the leading regional organization promoting the strengthening of a supportive legal environment for civil society. ECNL’s aim is to create societies which can be shaped by the people working together. We support the creation of environments where people can establish groups, movements, and formal civil society organisations (CSOs); assemble, demonstrate and protest; and fully participate in policy making. Our activities create the policy and legal conditions in which independent, and sustainable CSOs can flourish. We work at the global and European level in countries of Europe and in the former Soviet Union. ECNL is the affiliate of the International Center for Not-for-Profit Law.
Main duties and responsibilities:
By joining ECNL, the Senior Legal Advisor will become part of an international network of CSO lawyers working on issues such as: framework laws for CSOs; policies and laws for CSO sustainability; models for CSO-Government partnerships; participation and policy dialogue; and counter-terrorism initiatives affecting CSOs. The Senior Legal Advisor will engage in legislative processes affecting CSOs and will work closely with the Executive Director on initiatives at a European level. S/he will help build capacity of local partners, research frameworks and practices that support or impede CSO work, help develop advocacy strategies. S/he will also participate in ECNL’s work to promote CSO development effectiveness and will engage in initiatives at the EU and UN level affecting freedom of association and assembly. The position requires intensive travel.
Main tasks will include:
- Preparing comments and legal analysis of draft legislation;
- Conducting comparative research, national analysis, and similar legal and programmatic materials;
- Engaging with public officials and other key decision-makers on country and regional level;
- Assisting local partners in developing and implementing advocacy strategies;
- Designing and implementing regional and country programs;
- Representing ECNL at various meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences;
- Executing and managing contracts and sub-awards with local partners; overseeing their work and ensuring compliance with donor rules, regulations, and policies;
- Engaging with donors and assisting with program development activities, including proposal writing;
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive
- Law degree from an accredited school;
- Clear understanding of the needs of civil society in Europe and its neighborhood, especially concerning the legal environment for their operation and impact;
- At least 7 years of professional experience, working in several countries and multicultural environments;
- At least 4 years of proven comparable work experience in the areas and responsibilities described above; candidates with identical work experience are preferred;
- Fluency in English (written and oral); knowledge of other European languages an asset;
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and presentation skills;
- Proven experience in program design and project management;
Compensation: Salary based on experience and qualifications. Please note that ECNL applies a strict conflict of interest policy.
To Apply: Please submit, in English, a curriculum vitae, a cover letter and two unedited writing samples to ECNL at email@example.com, with subject Senior Legal Advisor. Please include contact details of two references.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Should you have questions please feel free to contact us. We thank all individuals for their interest in ECNL; however, only short-listed candidates will be notified. No phone calls, please.